Crock Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl
Need an easy, delicious meal for your family tonight?
January 26, 2019
As I sit here this Saturday morning, I realize I don’t have anything in the house to make for dinner this evening. My husband often workouts out of town, and get groceries Friday before he comes home. However, this past week, the kiddos and I packed our bags and headed out to see him. Yes, it was an amazing visit, but my grocery schedule is all out of wack! I don’t know how it is in your house, but trying to get out to the grocery store with two littles and a husband can turn into a several hour affair. Plus trying to prep for dinner?!
Then it hit me! I have an awesome recipe for a Crockpot Chicken Burrito Bowl. This recipe is super quick to throw together, sits in the crockpot, is healthy, and tastes DELICIOUS! Off the top of my head I could already tell you everything that I need for the recipe, so if I did have to get out, could be quick at the store, or even better, if there are slots available, I could order through AmazonFresh to have items delivered (their service is amazing, and is typically how this momma orders her meals for the family. Great service, and pricing, and let’s not forget to mention, it is super helpful when trying to figure out a grocery budget and stay on track!)
So, if you are looking for some quick, easy, and yummy for the entire family to enjoy, this is it! Heck, this is also a great meal prep option if you are cooking for the week. When it is done, simply break up into portions, store in your food storage containers, and reheat during the week!
Crockpot Chicken Burrito Bowl
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 2 large breasts
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 14 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1.5 cups instant whole grain brown rice
- 2 cup shredded colby jack cheese (optional–count as extra blue)
- Chopped Romaine Leaves (optional to fill out remaining .5 green container)
- 1/4 cup 2% Greek Yogurt (optional to fill out remaining red container)
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker.
- Pour chicken broth over chicken breasts and stir in canned tomatoes, olive oil, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for about 4 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker.
- Turn slow cooker to high and stir in instant rice and black beans. Let cook 30-45 minutes on high, or until rice is tender.
- Add chicken back in, cook for 20 minutes on high, or until chicken is warm.
Serve and top with any extras!
(If you follow Portion Fix system, the container count is 1/2 red, 1/2 green, 1 yellow)