DIY Homemade Dog Food
Keep your dog healthy and fit with this healthy homemade dog recipe!
January 20, 2019
This is not an original of mine. I got this homemade dog food recipe from Damn Delicious, and man is this dog food just that. My search for a homemade dog food actually began when my poor Maltese kept having tummy issues. The amount of money we spent on her food never seemed to matter, and even the best of brands would upset her stomach. My poor pooch was hurting, and to be honest, so was my wallet.
After doing a little bit of research, turns out, what is in most store bought dog food is atrocious. I know they’re dogs, but those dogs are my fur babies, and while I get to love and enjoy them, I want them to live a long, healthy, and happy life! So, I thought I would try it out. Like Chungah, the author and creator of Damn Delicious, says, you know EXACTLY what is going into your dogs food when you make it at home, which was right in line with me wanting my pups to have a better quality food, and hopefully one that wouldn’t upset my youngest’s tummy.
After I make their food, I separate it into freezer bags that would feed both dogs for a few days so it stays as fresh as possible. I keep one bag in the refrigerator, and the others in the freezer until I am ready to use. Honestly, because I am so conscious about the environment, a lot of the time, I will also use these glass food storage containers since they can be used over and over again and you don’t have to worry about chemicals being cooked into yours, or your dogs food! When you’re ready to feed your fur babies, just heat and serve.
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup peas, canned or frozen
- In a large saucepan of 3 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add ground turkey and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the turkey as it cooks.
- Stir in spinach, carrots, zucchini, peas and brown rice until the spinach has wilted and the mixture is heated through, about 3-5 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
Click here to print the recipe!